Saturday, January 19, 2008

Local Food in my Pantry and Dish #1

In preperation for my participation in PTF's 100 FOOT Challange I decided to take stock of what local food I have in my pantry. Most of this would be stuff that I canned this summer or have gotten recently at the Leesburg Year Round Farmers Market. I have:
  • Pork Chops from Baker
  • Ground Beef patties from Mill Road
  • Chicken from Fields of Athenry
  • Strawberry Jam with fruit from Great Country Farms, home canned
  • Strawberry Jam with fruit from Great Country Farms, home froze
  • Creamed Corn entierly from Great Country Farms, home canned
  • Corn entierly from Great Country Farms, home canned
  • Apple Sauce with fruit entierly from Great Country Farms, home canned
  • Frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, and black raspberries from entierly from Great Country Farms, frozen
  • Bean soups with local stock and vegetables, frozen

Its not much but its a start and until it starts to thaw out here Im going to be heavily reliant on food I can purchase at the farmers market or other local producer. My biggest challange is going to be sourcing the spices, condiments and basic pantry items when the run out; all the things that I have taken for granted up. I buy most everything I can in organic form but still reach for the convenience item if an organic althernative is not redily available.

The good news is that I had my first local dish last night with out even realizing it. I sauted a cut of pork tenderloin I bought from one of the local farmers market regulars and did a rasberry port and balsamic vinigar reduction for the sauce. The port came from a near by vinyard, the vinager from a local business and the whole raspberries from this summers crop. It was quite delicious. I'm looking forward to grilling some local burgers and pulling out some of my soup and corn.

No comments: