Sunday, March 29, 2009

Geek of all types

I'm a geek. It's taken a while and much debate to admit this but now I don't try to deny it. First and foremost I'm a SciFi geek, thanks dad, and can easily fall into discussion on numerous alien/fantasy/dragon/space/robotic/futuristic topics. Next I'm a science geek. Of the handful of podcast I listen to 1/3rd are science related like the ones from US Geological Survey, National Science Federation and the Science Channel. I also grew up loving to read things like popular mechanic, popular science, and anything that described how things worked. I've also been accused of being a computer geek because I can do a little of my own programing, I know Microsoft office inside and out and I like to do most things in my life with at least a little tech assist if not online entirely.


This week I found out I'm another type of geeks--a garden geek. That's right, there is such a person; just ask the folks at http://myfolia.com/ . This is a wonderful site for those of us who spend too much time at the computer anyway. Instead of trying to remember many of the details and trying to calculate things like time to germination from poorly written pencil notes stained with soil and coffee, I use folia's easy interface to journal about my activities when I do them and it instantly tracks things like which seeds my plants came from, how many days since planting, I can upload pictures to associate with each plant and seed and of my garden in general. These I can share with others on the site and comment or ask questions about other peoples gardens. There is also a feature to facilitate seed and plant swaps. Its so tech-fun. Here is my garden: http://myfolia.com/gardens/5791-patio-container-garden. Now I can track the success or failure of my seeds, my plants, my techniques and also at the end of the year track seeds I have saved and tie them to next years plantings.
Now instead of blogging about my garden record I think I will just post to folia and let it do all the hard work for me.

No comments: